Monday, 6 April 2015

A Sort of Amateur Dev Diary Thing, I Guess - Part 1

For some time now, I've had an interest in videogames. Today, I started trying to make one. I've had a minor dalliance with GameMaker Studio before but it didn't really lead anywhere, mostly because I had no real idea of what I wanted to achieve. Unless I have a destination in mind, I tend to wander aimlessly before getting sidetr - ooh, shiny!



Anyway, inspiration struck a week or so ago. I had an idea for a game and, importantly, the concept was simple enough that I might be able to pull it off. Top-down and 2D, it also seemed like something that I could use GameMaker to create.

(I should quickly mention, before I get too far, that GameMaker has a free version - that's the one I'm using, mainly 'cos I'm pretty broke! It's more than possible to create something good with the free version, although upgrading to the Professional version is probably best if you decide to get serious about it all.)

So now I have a rough idea of what I want to do, I just need to learn how to use the tools and this diary will hopefully serve two purposes here - firstly, it's a way for me to record thoughts, techniques I find, that sort of thing, but I think it would also be nice if it could prove useful for someone else in the same boat. There are a lot of resources out there for GameMaker, and during the course of today's work in it (I'll write more in an update about that), there were a few things that I couldn't easily find out and had to figure out myself. Stuff like that, I'll keep a record of here.

As I said, there are already a lot of great help and tutorial sites for GameMaker and as this blog is aiming to help people learn more, a good start would probably be to let you know about the ones I've found particularly useful.

(By the way, links will open in a new window!)

Make a Game with No Experience - These are great. Tom Francis, creator of Gunpoint has made a series of videos about how to make your first game in GameMaker. They're entertaining, informative and very easy to follow.

There's a GameMaker section on the TIGSource forums. I've found the first set at the top of that link particularly helpful.

Physics in GameMaker:Studio - this is the page that finally helped me get my head around how to control the player object when using physics.

That's it for now - I'll either add more resources here as I come across them, or if the list gets too unwieldy, I'll create a new post just for them.

UPDATE : I created a new page for this kind of thing >>here<<

No comments:

Post a Comment