Wednesday, 2 September 2015

I CANNOT BE DEFEATED!

Note: Updated TWICE at the end.

Yup, back. Sorta. Thanks to the wonders of tethering, I can get online again, in a slightly slow fashion. Actually, I've been doing this for a while now, I just haven't had anything important to post.

Come to think of it, I still haven't. But if anyone in the UK is in a similar position to me, stuck without internet and not wanting to get into a long-term landline contract, T-Mobile seems to give unlimited data each month for £5. Granted, I'm using 3G, but still..


I have to say, I don't know exactly what the rules around this are. It used to be that, for £5, you could text MONTHWEB to 441 and in return you would get 1Gb of data to use within 30 days. Now it seems that doing the same thing gets you pretty much unlimited data for 30 days.

Having said that, they probably have fair use policies and the like somewhere on their site, but their website is a godawful mess so I don't spend any more time on there than I have to. Instead, I've been using my own Common Sense policy, which states that as long as you don't take the piss, you should be ok. So far, I've updated a few games on Steam, downloaded some iPlayer programmes and, frankly, Ebayed like a motherfucker. They've not cut me off yet (touch wood).

I've had my issues with T-Mobile in the past - they're not particularly cheap for anything if you're on Pay As you Go, plus their website has been a clusterfuck since they merged with EE - but if unlimited data for a fiver a month is a thing, they're getting brownie points from me - I would be pretty stuck without it.

Now you'll have to excuse me, there's a cheap pair of Converse on eBay I'm after and the auction is about to end.

Update (03/10/15): As it turns out, there is a fair useage policy for T-Mobile. I just got a text to say I've reached 80% of my fair use policy this month and that I can find out about the policy at http://m.t-mobile.co.uk/m/fairuseagepolicy/ . I'd give more details but it doesn't seem to be working...

Update (13/10/15): Some notes after a bit of experimenting and research. It seems that they give you a data allowance of (I think) 1Gb for the month, but importantly, once you've reached that allowance, you're not completely cut off from the internet. Instead, they block high-bandwidth stuff like streaming video and the like, but you can still access basic websites, email and so on. It also looks like using a VPN gets around this restriction, so I guess they're using port/file type filters or something. It might be useless to add, but I would urge people not to take the piss if they decide to use a VPN for this - if a lot of people start abusing it, it seems likely that T-Mobile will enforce limits more thoroughly!

No comments:

Post a Comment